Punxsy Fire Department members extinguish dryer fire

By: 
Larry McGuire
Of The Spirit

Punxsutawney firefighters, along with Punxsutawney Borough Police officers, arrived in time to keep a dryer fire from spreading to the rest of a home located on East Liberty Street in Punxsutawney on Sunday.

According to Punxsutawney Fire Department Assistant Chief Doug McAfoos, Punxsutawney firefighters were called to the scene of a reported dryer fire at 117 East Liberty St. at 7:11 p.m. on Sunday.

According to McAfoos, smoke was showing from the eaves and the rear windows of the structure. He said firefighters also observed smoke emanating from the dryer.

McAfoos said members of the fire department used fire extinguishers and knocked down the flames. With the help of Punxsutawney Borough Police officers, they carried the dryer out of the house.

McAfoos said the only damage to the house was caused by smoke. Firefighters ventilated the home so the residents could go back inside.

There were no injuries, and the dryer and its contents sustained heavy damage.

Punxsutawney firefighters were assisted at the scene by the Punxsutawney Borough Police and Jefferson County EMS.

Category: