Gasoline spill sparks accidental fire in McCalmont Township

STAFF REPORTS

In a report issued by Trooper David M. Powell, state police fire marshal, Punxsutawney-based Pennsylvania State Police, said that a fire on Monday morning in McCalmont Township has been deemed accidental in nature.

The fire occurred at 1685 Buck Run Rd. in McCalmont Township, when a juvenile female was refilling a gas-powered small engine that operated a washing machine in the basement of the home. The girl was using a five-gallon gasoline can to refill the tank, when the tank overflowed. The gasoline was then ignited by the hot muffler on the small engine, the report said.

Eli Wengerd, 40, of Punxsutawney, discovered the fire and removed the girl from the basement before extinguishing what fire there was. Both the girl and Wengerd suffered burn injuries and were flown by medical helicopter to UPMC-Mercy in Pittsburgh.

Fire damage was minor and is estimated at $1,000.

Category: