Firefighters respond to Wendy’s for mulch fire
Punxsutawney firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the wall at Wendy's Old-Fashioned Hamburgers on Hampton Avenue at 6:48 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters from Central, Elk Run and Lindsey responded to the scene and verified there was smoke coming from the wall in the northeast corner of the building.
Following an interior investigation with thermal imaging cameras, it was discovered that the smoke originated from the building's exterior,
where someone had tossed a cigarette butt near the drive-thru window, which caught the mulch on fire and pushed smoke into the exterior wall and building.
Following cleanup, the restaurant reopened for business with just minor damage sustained.
Pictured are firefighters cutting into the exterior wall at Wendy's to vent the smoke.
All three companies were back in quarters by 7:25 p.m.